Saturday, March 6, 2010

Insurance Rates---Until they raise yours, you don't think about it.

Blogging isn't a strong suit of mine. I have plenty to say all the time but that doesn't mean it has to go into print.
Today I have 2.5 million things on my plate, addressing mail that came in was one of them.
As I looked through the typical junk mail, BUY ME BUY ME! and the bills, I saw an envelope
from our ins co, GHP. Okay, cool, probably just a "this is not a bill" notice.
I opened it and stopped in my tracks......my daughter's ins rate went from $136 a month to $285 a month beginning April 1, 2010. I don't know what the exact percentage is but I do know it's OVER a 100% increase!
---Please if you are an Ins Rep do not contact me for a new policy, we have a rep in our family. Thank you.---
Anyway, I half listen to the news, people are reporting their rates go up, in-fact I heard them state that some rates go up "as much as 60%," hello.........how about over 100%?!
So I will be on the hunt for a different ins company effective today....after I complete the other 2.5 million things on my plate. ( I think it really bothers me because I have told client after client, nanny after nanny, "go to GHP, they have great rates.......")

This also affects the Nanny industry. Say a family hires a Nanny for 2 years. They offer to pay for her insurance and they work in out in their budget so everyone is happy. The first year is fine but the renewal notice comes, it's going to raise to an uncomfortable amount, family has a few choices: Tell Nanny they can no longer offer the coverage - Tell Nanny she has to kick in the difference - Start the search for new insurance all over again.
All three of those scenarios aren't ideal.

I'm hopeful the insurance companies realize what they are doing and just stop it.