Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A brief and insightful talk with Glenda Propst, Nanny extraordinaire!

NannyMall, llc talks with Glenda Propst about changes in the Nanny Industry

Agency: When you did you begin your Nanny profession?


Glenda: In 1984 I was a live in nanny, worked a 12 hour day and 1/2 day on Saturday. I cared for a newborn, 12 and 14 year old. My responsibilities were mostly caring for the baby, the baby’s laundry, activities, grocery shopping , supervising the teenagers and transporting them where they needed to go. I had 2 weeks vacation, one week of my choice and one of theirs, health insurance and grossed $250 a week.

Agency: Flash forward 15 years into your career and please share the duties, wages and benefits.

Glenda: Fifteen years into my career I worked about 40 hours a week, I was provided a car, reimbursed for mileage, and even though my work agreement stated 2 weeks of vacation I usually ended up getting about 6 weeks vacation. I can't really remember how much my salary was at this point but I want to say it was about $12 an hour. At this point I had a 2 year old and she kept me busy and on the run all day long. I picked the older child up after school and supervised homework etc.

I am still with the same family and my job changed dramatically as my kids got older. Now I work about 25 hours a week and about 8 of those I work from home doing things for the mom on the computer. My duties are less child care related and more household manager related. The parents and I have a very good relationship and we ebb and flow with each other. My hours are 7:30-5:30 but on my long days I will often work from home until about 9 or 10, and then run errands on way to work and be there for the kids when they get home from school to transport them to music lessons, playdates, supervise homework or just hang out with them.

Flexible hours are not something that I recommend but if my boss asks me to stay later and get dinner for the kids, I am always willing to do that. My employers have always been so respectful of me and always allowed me to have a life beyond my job.

When you choose to stay with a family long term, you have to be willing to go with the flow of the changes in your work schedule and the changes in what your family needs most. Now beyond laundry my duties are grocery shopping , errands, and organizing family photos. Getting the photos off the camera and getting them uploaded to an online site and burned to disc.

Photos are very important to my employers and in the digital age with 3 cameras in the family in addition a DVD recorder, it takes a lot of time to make sure these important documents are taken care of. I also research camps and classes for my younger charge and try to encourage her creativity by planning lots of fun art projects and activities.

My employers have always made a point of compensating me. In the past I have talked to nannies who say that their salary caps out but my employers are very good to me and make sure that I am compensated the same as I would be if I had left them and started over with a new family.

One thing that I will say is that I think employers realize that nannies are not maids or housekeepers. Nannies care for children, and maids mop floors. If you want someone to take care of and nurture your child, hire a nanny. If you want someone to take care of your house hire a maid. If you hire one person to do 2 jobs they will do one thing well and one thing not so well and you should only want the best for your child.

Agency: Where do you see the Nanny industry headed in the next decade?

Glenda: In the next decade I think we will start to see the impact the generation of children raised by nannies has had. I think that people will finally start to view nannies more as professionals and realize that the women in this profession are educated, articulate and passionate about what they do. There have been so many misconceptions about nannies over the years via books, movies and media and I hope that some of the public education will start to pay off.


Glenda Propst has been a professional nanny for 25 years.
She is a founding board member of INA. She was the 1991 INA Nanny of the Year and was one of the 3 Co Founders of the now defunct National Association of Nannies.After working as a Child Care Center Director for 9 years she attended the St. Louis Child Day Care Associations Nanny Training Program and has worked with 2 local families. The first for 8 years and the second for 17 years. She is a member of The Regarding Nannies Development Team with Alice Shaffer and Kellie Geres.


Thank you Glenda, for your wisdom and constant support! The Nanny Industry wouldn't be where is it without you!